Monday, June 8, 2009

The Nanny Search (or Will We Ever Get Any Sleep??)

Now that we're getting closer, it's time to start thinking about help once the babies arrive. I've been putting it off since it seems like you can't really hire a nanny until a month or so before you need one. But it's time to start thinking about it and boy, are there some strong opinions for other mothers of twins out there! I have two friends (w/twins) who swear that we ABSOLUTELY need a night nanny, at least 2 or 3 nights a week. Now, I'd never even heard of a night nanny until we had friends with twins - but just like it sounds, these nannies take the night shift, showing up at 10 or 11 pm and leaving first thing in the morning. As great as it sounds, they don't come cheap, and depending on how we end up feeding these babies, it's hard to imagine just how much help one would be, assuming we end up breastfeeding. I mean, I have to wake up regardless...

The other school of thought is that you need someone to help you out during the day. My job, once Chad goes back to work after those first two weeks, will be to take care of the babies. So I need someone around during the day to do laundry, straighten up, watch babies while I shower and nap, and that kind of thing to keep our lives on track during the first couple of months.

Like I said, it's a big divide among the families I've talked to, but the one thing that everyone agrees on is the need for some kind of help early on. And although we have lots of family and friends who are planning to visit us, I think we're going to have to rely on at least some sort of nanny for the first few months.

Which means I need to start searching and interviewing potential helpers now! I'm not really looking forward to it, but I'll keep you posted on how that goes!

1 comment:

  1. You are so fortunate to have that option. As I read this I thought about America's past when families lived together and someone nearby was available to help out other family members as the occasion arose. Choosing someone as reliable and loving as a close member of the family is tricky but really a necessity. I am glad that you will have help.

    ReplyDelete